Browse Items (174 total)
- Tags: Photo File: Houses
Photograph of House on 335 W. Main Street, Decatur, IL. "Home of w. H. Starr back as far as 1883. It was listed in the 1954 city directory as the Bender Apartments. (Information from clips and city directory.)"
Photograph of Houses on 448 N. Franklin Street. "Built by D. S. Shellabarger in 1879. The present high school building was started in 1910. In September, 1909, the Shellabarger house and grounds was purchased by the Decatur board of education and…
Photograph of House on 531 W. Main Street, Decatur, IL. "Originally built by Michael Troutman in 1868. It was the first brick residence built on that street. In 1912 it was remodeled and a coat of cement plaster was put over the brick. Mr. and Mrs.…
Photograph of House on 700 Block of E. Wood Street. This house, known as "Cassell's Castle" was built by Berry H. Cassell in 1887. It was at the corner of Webster and Wood Streets. It was destroyed by fire in 1916. In 1925 the Illinois Power & Light…
Photograph of 1005 N. Dunham. The house was built by C.C. Burroughs in 1866. It was later owned by a Mr. Hanks who sold it to D.L. Bunn in 1881. Eight years later Bunn sold it to W.H. Lake. About 1901 William Gushard bought it from Andy Hill.
Photograph of 1040 Lincoln Ave. This house was built by Walter H. Mills. In 1954 it was an apartment house and was owned by Lloyd H. Clary.
Photograph of 1060 W. Marietta. The city directories first list this address in 1901 and it was owned by John D. Evans. It has had numerous owners since and the 1954 city directory lists Vernon Keller as its owner.
Photograph of the bust of Emma Willard by Francis Grimes