Photo of Emmett Williamson hold shield listing names of men who worked at Williamson Service Station that entered the armed forces

Dublin Core

Title

Photo of Emmett Williamson hold shield listing names of men who worked at Williamson Service Station that entered the armed forces

Subject

WWII
World War II
Army
Army Air Corps,
Navy
Coast Guard
Decatur, IL.

Description

Herald and Review Library: Williamson, Emmett, Article with photo; "This photograph, which ran in the Decatur newspaper on June 7, 1942, features Emmett Williamson of Williamson Service Station. Williamson, the owner of the station, was the seventh and final employee to leave Decatur and his job at the service station to enlist in the armed forces. The station, located at 545 North Main, Decatur, had been in business for 13 years. The shield of service, held by Williamson, lists the names of the seven men who left work to serve their country." Article on back of photo; "This Crew 100 Per Cent; Williamson and 'Boys' enter Armed Services, the personnel of the Williamson service station, 6545 North Main street, has joined the armed forces 100 per cent. Emmett Williamson, proprietor, sold his business over a week ago and became the seventh and last member of the organization to enlist. He will leave this week for Camp Claiborne, La., where he will become a mechanic in the engineering corps. he had been in business 13 years.
Bill Selman, son of Mrs. Sarah Selman, 405 West Eldorado street, was the first of Mr. Williamson's employees to enlist in 1939 and has had three years of foreign service in the navy.
Harold Young, son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Young, 1505 North Church street, entered in August of 1940 and is a mechanic in the air corps stationed near Denver, Colo.
Having just completed his boot training at Great Lakes, Dick Foltz is in Los Angeles, Calif., awaiting assignment. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Cleve Foltz, 1237 East Decatur street.
Merv Logue is a radio operator in the Coast Guard stationed near Boston, Mass. His mother is Mrs. Mamie O'Dell, 822 West Decatur street.
Ken Meyers, who is graduating from Decatur high school this week, enlisted in the flying cadets two weeks ago. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Meyers, 1157 East Rogers avenue.
Leaving this week for Camp Claiborne, Tom Chambers will be stationed with his 'boss' as a mechanic in engineering. Mr. and Mrs. T. G. Chambers are his parents.
Selman had worked at the station for two years, the others about four and one half years each, Mr. Williamson said."

Creator

Herald and Review

Source

Decatur, IL.

Publisher

Decatur Public Library, Decatur, IL.

Date

6/7/1942

Contributor

Decatur Herald and Review

Rights

The Decatur Public Library owns and maintains all copyright on materials featured on omeka.decaturlibrary.org. These materials cannot be used without prior consent. Please contact the Local History Room at the Decatur Public Library for more information.

Relation

unknown

Format

.jpg
600 dpi

Language

English

Type

photograph

Identifier

AF796

Coverage

World War II

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

photograph

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10"

Files

http://omeka.decaturlibrary.org/files/original/0df6e66d99e5a4f421aa2d94d4fd71f3.jpg

Citation

Herald and Review, “Photo of Emmett Williamson hold shield listing names of men who worked at Williamson Service Station that entered the armed forces,” Decatur Public Library Local History Photo Collection, accessed July 23, 2024, http://omeka.decaturlibrary.org/items/show/1435.