Photograph of 418 N. Water St.

HO70-418_N_WATER_ST, J_R_RACE_HS, 9-11-1935.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Photograph of 418 N. Water St.

Subject

Houses
Photo File: Houses
Decatur IL
1870-1871

Description

Photograph of 418 N. Water St. For 45 years this handsome residence stood on the northeast corner of North and Water streets. In 1916 it was demolished to make way for the business buildings. J.R. Race erected the home in 1870-1871 and it was at the time the finest home in Decatur. At that time the fine homes of Decatur were along East Eldorado and Franklin streets. The exact cost of the home is not known but it was one of the best constructed homes ever put up in Decatur. The plot of ground it stood on was cut up into eleven lots, eight on Water and three on North Street. Guy Scovill and H. Warnecke bought the property in 1915 and one-story buildings were erected on the site until they were torn down in 1947 to make way for the J.C. Penney Company store.

Creator

Herald and Review

Source

Photo File: Houses

Publisher

Herald and Review
Decatur Public Library, Decatur IL

Date

1870-1871

Contributor

Herald and Review

Rights

The Decatur Public Library owns and maintains all copyright on materials featured on omeka.decaturlibrary.org. These materials cannot be used without prior consent. Please contact the Local History Room at the Decatur Public Library for more information.

Relation

none

Format

.jpg
600 dpi

Language

English

Type

Photograph

Identifier

HO70

Coverage

Houses, Photo File: Houses, Decatur IL, 1870-1871

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

6 x 7.5"

Collection

Citation

Herald and Review, “Photograph of 418 N. Water St.,” Decatur Public Library Local History Photo Collection, accessed February 2, 2023, http://omeka.decaturlibrary.org/items/show/3316.