Photo of Stapp's Chapel

CH42-STAPPS CHAPEL, GRACE_1866_1908_ PHOTO_1935.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Photo of Stapp's Chapel

Subject

Churches
Methodist
Stapp's Chapel
Grace Methodist
Masons
Buildings

Description

Photograph of Stapp's Chapel. for many years the church building that housed the Grace Methodist congregation at Eldorado and Franklin Streets was known as Stapp's Chapel. the church was organized in 1866 and a mission building erected. As the congregation grew a new church was needed. Dr. J. T. B. Stapp, a prominent and wealthy business man, contributed liberally to the building of the church in 1867, and it became known as Stapp's Chapel. Later the name of Grace Methodist was adopted. The building was used until 1906 when it was sold to the Masons and the congregation went to a new church on North Main street. In 1930 Frede and son bought the property and wrecked to make way for the present Fede building. Photo ran 11/8/1935 in the Herald and Review.

Creator

Herald and Review

Source

Photo File: Churches

Publisher

Herald and Review, Decatur, IL.
Decatur Public Library, Decatur, IL.

Date

11/8/1935.

Contributor

Herald and Review

Rights

The Decatur Public Library owns and maintains all copyright on materials featured on omeka.decaturlibrary.org. These materials cannot be used with prior consent. Please contact the Local History Room at the Decatur Public Library for more information.

Relation

none

Format

.jpg
600 dpi

Language

English

Type

Photo File: Churches

Identifier

CH42

Coverage

Churches, Methodist, Grace Methodist, Stapp's Chapel, Eldorado and Franklin, Masons, Frede and Son, Herald and Review, Decatur, IL.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

photograph

Physical Dimensions

3 x 3.5"

Citation

Herald and Review, “Photo of Stapp's Chapel,” Decatur Public Library Local History Photo Collection, accessed October 20, 2021, http://omeka.decaturlibrary.org/items/show/2964.