Photographs of the WCTU Fountain

Dublin Core

Title

Photographs of the WCTU Fountain

Subject

Historical Landmarks
Photo File: Historic Landmarks
Decatur IL
1936
1951

Description

Photographs of the WCTU (Women's Christian Temperance Union) Fountain. The fountain was erected in 1905 for the purpose of removing "the temptation of visiting saloons from country boys". It was donated through the WCTU by Thomas Davis, a pioneer of Macon County and friend of the WCTU. It was originally located between Wabash and the Illinois Central Railroad stations, then was given to Mrs. O.C. Maxwell and moved to a backyard on E. Hardy St.

Creator

Herald and Review

Source

Photo File: Historic Landmarks

Publisher

Herald and Review
Decatur Public Library, Decatur IL

Date

4/18/1936
7/5/1951

Contributor

Herald and Review

Rights

The Decatur Public Library owns and maintains all copyright on materials featured on omeka.decaturlibrary.org. These materials cannot be used without prior consent. Please contact the Local History Room at the Decatur Public Library for more information.

Relation

none

Format

.jpg
600 dpi

Language

English

Type

Photograph

Identifier

HL7
HL8

Coverage

Historical Landmarks, Photo File: Historic Landmarks, Decatur IL

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

4.5 x 6.5"

Files

HL7-WCTU_FOUNTAIN-Mrs_Maxwell-7-15-1951.jpg
HL8-WCTU_FOUNTAIN-2, 4-18-1936.jpg

Citation

Herald and Review, “Photographs of the WCTU Fountain,” Decatur Public Library Local History Photo Collection, accessed October 15, 2019, http://omeka.decaturlibrary.org/items/show/3151.