Browse Items (462 total)

  • Tags: biography

Photos of Decatur Fountain Co. and L. H. Alvord

BS149-Decatur_Fountain_Co-1910002.jpg
Photograph of the Decatur Fountain Co. taken in 1910. Located at the north end of Lowber St. in what was known as the Chamber of Commerce addition. Photo ran Nov. 27, 1910 in the Decatur newspaper. Photograph of L. H. Alvord, President of Decatur…

Photo of R. R. Levine, Business Manager Decatur Dry Goods Co.

BS300-RR LEVINE_MGR_1921.jpg
Photograph of R. R. Levine, Business Manager of Decatur Dry Goods Co. located corner of Water and North Streets. Photo taken in 1921 by Wasson Studio of Decatur, IL.

Photo of William Danzeisen

BS104-Danzeisen_William-8-21-1932001.jpg
Photograph of William Danzeisen (born 8/5/1861; died 9/26/1951). Danzeisen came to Decatur in 1872. He entered business with his father in 1883, and later took over management of the packing house business his father started here. For many years the…

Photo of William Danzeisen

BS104-Danzeisen_William-8-21-1932001.jpg
Photograph of William Danzeisen (born 8/5/1861; died 9/26/1951). Danzeisen came to Decatur in 1872. He entered business with his father in 1883, and later took over management of the packing house business his father started here. For many years the…

Photo of Conrad Striewing, proprietor of the Crystal Theater.

BS379-Conrad Striewing_Owner_1914.jpg
Photograph of Conrad Striewing; (died 5/30/1914). Proprietor of the Crystal Theater on Water Street. For many years he was a traveling salesman but later he purchased the theater. It was called the Nasawan but he changed the name to the Crystal. It…

George Zwilling

BIO481-Zwilling_George001.jpg
Photograph of George Zwilling; (died 1/26/1946). Veteran employee of the Mueller Co. He moved to Decatur in 1891 and joined the Mueller Co. and remained in the employ almost 35 years before retiring. He was a member of the Decatur Council No. 577,…

Frank O. Zetterlind

BIO480-ZETTERLIND_FRANK_O.jpg
Photograph of Frank O. Zetterlind; (died 10/13/1933). He was an employee of the Mueller Co. for 53 years. He came to Decatur in June of 1880 and was hired as a blacksmith by Hieronymous Mueller. He later became head of the blacksmith shop there and…

John Zeller

BIO479-ZELLER_JOHN, 8-24-1930.jpg
Photograph of John Zeller; (died 4/11/1932). He came to Decatur about 1860 and started driving oxen used by the Wabash in switching cars. Later he took a job in a meat packing plant that was located about where the Catholic Cemetery (Calvary)now is…

Mrs. M. M. (Olive) Wornick

BIO478-WORNICK_OLIVE, (MRS_M_M, 5-17-1914.jpg
Photograph of Mrs. M. M. (Olive) Wornick; (died 5/26/1943). Prominent in civic and social work in Decatur. She had been a member of the Decatur Woman's Club since 1904. In 1914 she was vice-chairman of the art and literature division of that club.…

Charles G. Woods

BIO477-WOODS_CHARLES_C, C1911.jpg
Photograph of Charles G. Woods, former master mechanic for the Decatur street railway. He left the railway in 1925 after 26 years to become associated with the Mack International Motor Truck Co. with Decatur as his headquarters. He was part owner of…