Browse Items (49 total)

  • Tags: Photo File: Churches

Photo of Four Square Gospel Church

CH104-Four_Square_Gospel_Church003.jpg
Photograph of Four Square Gospel Church, 300 Block E. Leafland Ave., Decatur, IL. "Parishioners Build Their Own Church. The 250 members of the Four Square Gospel church in Decatur, Ill. have constructed their new edifice, using only volunteer labor…

Photo of Rev. W. H. Prestley

CH92-PRESBYTERIAN, REV_W_H_PRESTLEY, 2-26-1907.jpg
Photograph of Rev. W. H. Prestley; (died 5/7/1914). Pastor of the Presbyterian church in Decatur for 13 years. He came to the church in Decatur in 1876. After leaving Decatur in 1890 he went to Kankakee and remained there until 1897, when he went to…

Photos of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Wood and Edwards Streets.

CH18-LUTHERAN-ST_PAULS_LUTHERAN_CHURCH-2, AUGUST, 1996.jpg
Photograph of the exterior of St. Paul's Lutheran Church located on the corner of Edwards and Wood Streets, photo by Don Baker. Photograph of the Interior of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, photo by the Herald and Review.

Photo of Rev. Elisha Safford

CH89-PRESBYTERIAN, REV_ELISHA_STAFFORD, 5-16-1912.jpg
Photograph of Rev. Elisha Safford; (died 3/5/1948). Former pastor of the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Decatur. He became pastor in Decatur in 1912 and while he was here the present Westminster church building was constructed. He left Decatur…

Photos of First United Brethren Church and Rev. Maurice B. Spayd.

CH4-UNITED BRETHEN, CENTRAL _1908.jpg
Photograph of the First United Brethren. This First United Brethren Church stood for many years at Eldorado and Broadway. It was the second building for the congregation, the first one having been erected at Cerro Gordo and Main Streets in 1857 after…

Photo of Rev. Henry W. Trueblood, pastor Second United Brethren Church.

CH6-CHURCH_OF_THE-BRETHREN-2, TRUEBLOOD_REV_HENRY_W, 9-27-1903.jpg
Photograph of Rev. Henry w. Trueblood; died 3/5/1924. Pastor Second United Brethren Church 1920 until time of his death. Had served as pastor of First U. B. church in Decatur two times previous to 1920. Ordained in 1877. First came to Decatur in…

Photos of Rev. Willard D. Stires

CH100-EPISCOPAL-ST JOHNS-REV_WILLARD_D_STIRES, 1-20-1912.jpg
Photograph of Rev. Willard D. Stires; Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church in Decatur from 1913 to 1916.

Photo of Rev. H. C. Gibbs

CH50-UNITED_METHODIST, REV _H_C_GIBBS, 9-8-1912.jpg
Photograph of Rev. H. C. Gibbs, member of the Preacher's Aid Society for 42 years. He was at one time pastor of the First Methodist Church in Decatur, coming in here in 1901. He was connected with the society in various relationships, as, pastor,…

Photo of Stapp's Chapel

CH42-STAPPS CHAPEL, GRACE_1866_1908_ PHOTO_1935.jpg
Photograph of Stapp's Chapel. for many years the church building that housed the Grace Methodist congregation at Eldorado and Franklin Streets was known as Stapp's Chapel. the church was organized in 1866 and a mission building erected. As the…

Photo of Rev. Homer Tanner

CH47-UNITED_METHODIST,  REV_HOMER_TANNER, 4-6-1930.jpg
Photograph Rev. Homer Tanner (born 10/12/1884; died 6/12/1948) married Mary Etta Bonham, 1907; superintendent of the Decatur area of Free Methodist Churches, retired in 1944. (Information from clips). Photo ran 4/6/1930.