Browse Items (26 total)

  • Tags: J.K. Stafford

Photograph of East Prairie St.

ST15-EPRAIRIEST-SPOOKEDHORSE-C1900.jpg
Photograph of a horse being driven along East Prairie St. in Decatur around 1900 expresses his dislike of a new horseless carriage chugging along the corner. This picture of old Decatur was made from one of a number of glass negatives found in the…

Photographs of Scenes at the Wabash R.R. Station

RR93-steam_engine, 9-3-1896002.jpg
Photographs taken by J.K. Stafford of various scenes of steam locomotives at the Wabash R.R. station taken in the late 1890's and early 1900's.

Photograph of St. Louis Businessmen in Decatur to Board the Train Carrying Battery A

RR121-DEPOT, 9-17-1898021.jpg
Photograph of a group of about fifty St. Louis business and professional men, headed by Mayor Henry Ziegenhein, came to Decatur to meet and board the train carrying Batter A, the only Missouri unit to serve overseas during the Spanish American War.…

Photograph of the Illinois Central R. R. Ticket Office

RR12-Illinois_Central_ticket_office_10-26-1898_021.jpg
Photograph of the Illinois Central R. R. ticket office located at 121 E. William Street. It was also the office for the old P.D.&E. R. R. This photo was taken October 26, 1898 during the first Corn Carnival in Decatur.

Photograph of the William Warnick Homestead

HL123-Warnick Homestead016.jpg
Photograph of the William Warnick Homestead. This house, seven miles southwest of Decatur, was built by William Warnick after 1833, and became known as the "Thirty-Three Mile House" when owned by John Eckle and used as part of his tavern property to…

Photograph of the Parlor of Mr. and Mrs. Stafford

HO138-888 W NORTH ST, STAFFORD HOME, C1890s.jpg
Photograph of the parlor room in Mr. and Mrs. Stafford home located at 888 W. North St. This is similar to what parlors looked like around the year 1908. The heavy drapery was popular in its day, but one unusual thing about this room is the planter…

Photographs from the Morehouse & Wells Fire

FR46-MOREHOUSE & WELLS-1, 8-22-1909.jpg
Several photographs from the August 22, 1909 Morehouse & Wells fire that took out nearly a block of downtown Decatur businesses. The fire started in the Morehouse & Wells building on East Main and destroyed half the block bounded by Merchant,…