Browse Items (10 total)

  • Tags: Macon County

Photo of Dr. J. T. B. Stapp's House 200 Block Franklin and William Streets.

Photograph of House on corner of N. Franklin and E. Williams Streets. "the home of Dr. J. T. B. Stapp, called Decatur's first capitalist stood for many years at the corner of Franklin and William streets on ground now occupied by the Decatur post…

Photographs of Captain David L. Allen's Second Home

HO8-Capt David Allen House001.jpg
Photographs of Captain David L. Allen's home on the south bank of the Sangamon River. It was unusual in structure because of its octagonal tower and for years it was a landmark of Macon county. It was torn down about 1905 and is was the site of…

Photograph of Unused Site for Decatur & Macon County Hospital

HS7-DMCH-building_fund.jpg
Photograph of the unused land bought by the Bethsaida Hospital Association in 1903 for the future Decatur & Macon County Hospital, later called Decatur Memorial Hospital. The hospital movement was started by Mrs. Susan Hagaman and she formed the…

Photographs of Decatur Memorial Hospital

HS13-Decatur_Memorial_Hospital_1916_100.jpg
Photographs of Decatur Memorial Hospital, formerly Decatur and Macon County Hospital on N. Edward St.

Photo of Clay Robinson Dairy

BS362-Clay_Robinson_Dairy-1938002.jpg
Photograph of the Farmers inspect herd at the Clay Robinson Dairy, photo taken 8/26/1938.

William T. Howell

BIO180-HOWELL_WILLIAM_T_OAKLEY_TWSP_1916.jpg
Photograph of William T. Howell (d. 1/21/1916). He was a well known farmer in Oakley Township, and raised grain and stock. He owned 400 acres of land in Macon County. The photo was taken by Haws, and ran in the Decatur Daily Review on January 25,…

Miss Lelah Foster

BIO143-FOSTER_MISS_LELAH, 3-2-1930.jpg
Photograph of Miss Lelah Foster (d. 11/13/1942), the County Recorder from 1920 to 1932. Foster was one of the first women in the nation to serve in an elective office, and the first in Macon County. She was active in the state Republican Women's…

Thomas Davis

BIO102-DAVIS_THOMAS_MACON_ILL_1909006.jpg
Photograph of Thomas Davis (d. 1913). He was a pioneer in Macon County, IL, and owned the first building in Macon, IL. He was the donor of the WCTU water fountain, and knew Abraham Lincoln. The Davis School east of Macon, IL is named after him. …

Looking South from Mouth of Stevens Creek 1911

MC58-Looking_South_from_Mouth_of_Stevens_Creek-1911057.jpg
Photograph of the Sangamon River from the mouth of Stevens Creek in 1911.

Dantown Distillery

MC6-Dantown_distillery008.jpg
Photograph of the Dantown Distillery in Macon County.