Browse Items (7 total)

  • Tags: Linn & Scruggs

Photographs of 276 W. Prairie Ave.

HO159-276_W_PRAIRIE_AVE, W_R_SCRUGGS_HSE.jpg
Photographs of 276 W. Prairie Ave. built in 1888. It was the home of W.R. Scruggs, one of the founders of Linn & Scruggs. In 1954 Lillian Chadsey, sister-in-law of W.R. Scruggs, still lived there.

Photographs from the Powers Office Building Fire

FR75-POWERS OFFICE BUILDING-1, 4-7-1914.jpg
Photographs from the April 7, 1914 fire that destroyed the Powers building properties at Water and Main streets. The properties destroyed and affected included the Powers estate, Linn & Scruggs store, the Leavenworth Store, the Powers Theater,…

Photo of the Powers Building 200 Block E. Main St.

BD47-Powers_Building001.jpg
Photograph of building located 200 Block E. Main Street. This building probably is familiar to many but actually it disappeared more than 20 years ago. It is the Orlando Powers building, E. Main and Water Streets, which was burned in April 1914. The…

Bachman Bros. & Martin Co. Building

BD2-Bachman_Bros_building002.jpg
Photograph the construction of the Bachman Bros. & Martin Co. building. This building was constructed in 1912-1913 with the formal opening in Sept. 1913. The name was changed to Bachman Co. in 1923. In October 1924 Linn & Scruggs moved into this…

Charles O. Ebel

BIO130-EBEL_CHARLES_O, C1938.jpg
Photograph of Charles O. Ebel (d. 8/20/1938). Ebel compiled and published the Decatur City Directory for 31 years. His first city directory was published in 1883. Ebel also numbered Decatur homes and put up the first street signs. He was an…

Joseph B. Dinges

BIO119-DINGES_JOSEPH_B, 6-9-1910106.jpg
Photograph of Joseph B. Dinges (d. 11/6/1916). He was the nephew of W.H. Linn, the founder of Linn & Scruggs, and worked for him in his store for many years. He later had a grocery business with James Coop that was sold to Bradley Bros. Later in…

William G. Bachman

BIO36-BACHMAN_WILLIAM G037.jpg
Photograph of William G. Bachman (b. 12/21/1864, d. 7/8/1934). He was a furniture dealer, and owned a company on the southwest corner of N. Main and Prairie. This site later became Linn & Scruggs. The photo was taken by Vandeventer.